Throughout the school year, we will offer workshops for families related to parenting and academics. Please note that dates may be subject to change.
2019-2020 Workshop Schedule Coming Soon
2018-2019 Parent Workshop Schedule
|Date||Workshop||Time||Location and Presenter|
|Friday, 9/21||Bullying Awareness and Prevention||8:30am||Room 208|
|Monday, 10/22||2nd Grade Math Workshop||3:00pm-3:45pm||Room 314|
|Thursday, 10/25||What Would Teachers Do?||8:30am||Room 208|
|Monday, 11/5||Middle School Meeting for 5th Grade Families||8:30am||Room 208|
Rebecca Newfield and Denise Greene
|Tuesday, 11/13||What Would Teachers Do? Part 2||8:30am||Room 208|
|Friday, 11/16||Raising Your Tween in the Digital Age, PK-2 Families|
Links to Sean Grover articles on Kids and Technology:
1. How technology lowers emotional intelligence in kids2. 3 Mistakes parents make with technologyhttps://www.waituntil8th.org/
|Friday, 11/30||How to Talk So Your Kids Will Listen and Listen So Your Kids Will Talk||8:30am||Room 208|
|Tuesday, 12/11||Raising Your Tween in the Digital Age, 3rd-5th Grade Families||8:30am||Room 208|
|Monday, 1/14||2nd Grade Math Workshop||3:00pm-3:45pm||Room 314|
|Tuesday, 1/15||Literacy Workshop for Grades 2-3||8:30am||Room 208|
Jaime Margolies and Peck Slip Teachers
|Friday, 1/18||How to Talk So Your Kids Will Listen and Listen So Your Kids Will Talk||8:30am||Room 208|
|Tuesday, 1/22||Managing the Anxieties of Childhood||8:30am||Room 208|
Marygrace Berberian, LCSW
Director, NYU Art Therapy in Schools Program
|Tuesday, 1/29||Literacy Workshop for Grades K-2|
Understanding and Supporting Your Primary Readers and Writers
Jaime Margolies and Peck Slip Teachers
|Thursday, 1/31||Me. You. Us.||5:45pm-8:00pm||Room 208. Babysitting and Pizza provided for Peck Slip Students.|
|Thursday, 2/28||State Testing for Grades 3-5||8:30am||Cafeteria.|
Maggie and 3rd/4th grade teachers
|Friday, 3/8||How to Talk So Your Kids Will Listen and Listen So Your Kids Will Talk||8:30am||Room 208|
|Tuesday, 3/19||Discussing the Birds and the Bees With Your Child Part 1||8:30am||Room 208|
|Tuesday, 3/26||Discussing the Birds and the Bees With Your Child Part 2||8:30am||Room 208|
|Thursday, 4/3||Me. You. Us.||8:30am||Room 208. Bagels and Coffee provided.|
|5/24||Helping Your Child Manage Anxiety|
Nayeli’s PresentationFeelings Thermometer 0-10
Parenting worksheet packet in English
|5/30||Middle School for 4th Grade Families||8:30am||Room 208|
- Literacy Workshops – literacy consultant Jaime Margolies and Peck Slip teachers will present 3 workshops covering how literacy is taught at these grade levels : K-1, 2-3 and 4-5. In the Fall.
- Math workshops – math consultant Renee McShane will join Peck Slip teachers to present 3 workshops on how math is taught at our school: K-1, 2-3, 4-5. In the Fall.
- What Would Teachers Do? Join 2nd Grade teacher Gretchen Lustig for a workshop aimed to provide some behavioral techniques that teachers use to help kids learn and work in diverse environments. In the Fall.
- Bullying Awareness and Prevention. Is it bullying, conflict, or something else? Join Kate Greenberg of School Health Solutions to understand the differences, and learn how to help. In the Fall.
- Raising Your Tween in the Digital Age 2 workshops (one for PK-2 families, one for 3-5). It is well known how hard the teen years can be, but many parents are unprepared for the stage right before: the tween years, which can be more challenging in some ways! Join author and parenting expert Sean Grover as he offers strategies for setting families up for success during that stage. In the Fall.
- Managing the Anxieties of Childhood. Growing up is filled with unexpected twists and turns. Explore creative strategies to help your child manage the anxieties that can often emerge along the way. Featuring guest speaker Marygrace Berberian, LCSW. In the Winter.
- How To Talk So Your Kids Will Listen, and Listen So Your Kids Will Talk. Many parents treasure the famous book of the same name by authors Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish. Join us for a workshop to help you put those skills into practice! In the Winter.
- State Testing. Join us to learn how we prepare Peck Slip students for the state tests in the Spring, and how you can help reduce anxiety around testing. In the Winter.
- Discussing the Birds and the Bees With Your Child. Unsure of when to have “the talk” and how to present it in an age-appropriate way? Join Kate Greenberg of School Health Solutions for the answers! In the Spring.
- A Morning with Bill Gordh. Ever wonder why Bill Gordh is one of your child’s favorite visitors to Peck Slip? Join Bill as he shows you how he creates his storytelling magic with the students of Peck Slip. In the Spring.
- Middle School for 4th Grade Families. Nervous about the middle school application process? Join Rebecca and Denise as they walk you through everything you need to know to have a stress-free middle school application experience! In the Spring.
- Me. You. Us. Diversity/Inclusion Workshops. Peck Slip is committed to creating an environment where every student, staff member and family member feels respected and appreciated, regardless of their differences. Our workshop series is devoted to engaging in dialogue around the importance of understanding others’ experiences and stories, looking at research around identity development and how/when it manifests itself in kids. Through this important work, we can build inclusion in a meaningful, supported, and genuine way that will help our children be open and accepting of everyone around them.
Breakfast With Maggie Series
Friday Mornings at 8:30am
Once per month, bring your breakfast and join fellow Peck Slip parents for an informal conversation with Maggie about life at Peck Slip.
March 15 – Very Special Breakfast with Maggie on Recess at Peck Slip